I have to admit, I’m a little bummed out this Father’s Day. I’m usually on my game. Presents from the kids for my husband, a card from me thanking him for being such a great father, cards to my stepfather and my father (sometimes even a present to follow), a card and present for my husbands father, a luncheon or brunch for the three dads together. When we celebrate, we celebrate to the fullest as we should thanking them for such big shoes they fill each and every day. I am so blessed to be surrounded by such wonderful fathers.
This year, I wanted to have a cook-off. You see, each time I visit my father, we usually laugh and say we are going to be like Bobby Flay and have a cook off against each other. Yes, his food is delicious but he has never tasted mine. When I called to tell him I wanted to post him for #SundaySupper, he was happy to present a recipe on the grill. The grill is one of his strongest areas and I knew I was up for a challenge, so I told him I would bring the side dish!
My visits are usually the full day since I don’t cross the bridge to visit often (no he’s not a troll!). Dinner is usually made and we discuss how he wants to own a deli shop and how I want to own a bakery. Funny, I don’t bake, however; there is nothing more exhilarating to me then smelling fresh bread in the air, warm coffee brewing and delectable sweets around each corner….oooh, the dreams we have! We have even talked about how we would work shifts! Hey, this lifetime isn’t over, just maybe, one day, we will.
I thought about seeing him all this week because my Gram and Pop are visiting from North Carolina as well. I was looking forward to a wonderful day with my grandparents, father, brothers and stepmother. Oh, that’s right…work. Yup, forgot about work. My husband is working all day tomorrow – I hope he doesn’t actually get called in but there went my visit with my dad. Fingers are crossed for the following week! Tomorrow is a celebration for my children and their dad.
- 1 cup cooked brown rice (I cooked mine with 2 cups vegetable broth instead of water)
- 1 can (15 oz.) of black beans: rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 oz.) of diced, fire roasted tomatoes: drained
- 1 roasted red pepper: diced
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt (Chaboni)
- 1 Tbs fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tbs coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup to 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese: shredded
- Parmesan cheese (for garnish)
- cilantro (for garnish)
1. Make brown rice according to package
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
3. In a bowl, mix beans, tomatoes, red pepper, cinnamon, coriander, salt and pepper.
4. In a separate bowl, mix lemon juice and yogurt.
5. Add to bean mixture and mix together.
6. Grease a 9×13 pan and add mixture to pan.
7. Top with as much or as little cheese that you would like!
8. Bake for 20-25 minutes until warmed through.
9. Plate and serve with lemon, Parmesan and cilantro for garnish!
I love this dish because it is made from brown rice (good for you), has a protein of black beans (good for you) and is mixed in with greek yogurt (good for you). May I mention, “Who uses greek yogurt?” I took out the sour cream and changed it with yogurt because it still has the sweet taste. Added in lemon for a “fresh” take on the dish. When using canned items, this really makes the taste lighter and fresh. Perfect for a side dish or even a main dish!
NOTE OF THANKS:
To all of the many hard-working father out there, I am raising my glass to you. Hope your day is as blessed as your little ones are to have you. Happy Father’s Day!
Be sure to check out other fantastic Father’s Day recipes as well!
Father’s Day Brunch:
- Dad’s Omelette Bar Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Peanut Butter and Honey for Father’s Day Breakfast Yummy Smells
- Healthy French Toast In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Paska Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Dad’s Favorite Soup, Salads and Bread:
- Phil’s Pasta Tuna Salad The Watering Mouth
- Simple German Potato Salad and Wiener Wursts German Foodie
- Roasted Beet Soup Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Dad’s Cornbread Magnolia Days
Father’s Day Favorite Main Dishes:
- Greek Burger Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Dad’s Favorite Roast Beef Mrs. Mama Hen
- Sonoran Hot Dogs Damn Delicious
- Bacon Stuffed Jucy Lucy Burger Are you Hungry?
- Spicy Roasted Salmon in Coconut Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Dad’s Pride-of-Mobile Fried Oysters Pescetarian Journal
- Smoked Baby Back Ribs Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Grilled Pork Chops with Tarragon Butter Tora’s Real Food
- Beef Tongue in Tomato Sauce Basic and Delicious
- Bibim naeng myun Kimchi Mom
- Chicken Biryani Soni’s Food for Thought
- Brown Rice and Black Beans Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Bacon Recipes for Dad Momma Cuisine
- Curry Fish with Mixed Vegetables MyTrials in the Kitchen
- Roast Beef Roll Ups Daily Dish Recipes
- Bread and Butter Pudding Cositas Bonitas
- Tin Roof Sundae Ice Cream famfriendsfood
- Coconut Cream Pudding Chocolate Moosey
- Rich & Fluffy Banana Pudding Parfait The Meltaways
- Black Forest Cheesecake Cravings of a Lunatic
- Macadamia Nut Cookies Pippi’s in the Kitchen Again
- Peach Cobbler Bars Juanita’s Cocina
- Iced Cookie Bars That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pudim Molotoff, Portuguese Meringue Pudding Family Foodie
Wine Pairings for Father’s Day ENOFYLZ