When I say, “Dinner time! Cauliflower Soup!” I have to be honest, nobody is really running to my table. Not my husband, not my kids; yet, I’m there up and center! What IS the deal? Why is there such a turn off for great healthy fighting veggies? I really just don’t get it…
When I’m preparing for this battle – because that’s what it can turn into – I arm up with good eating sides! If your family doesn’t LOVE cauliflower (my husband hates it) try out a few bites at first or lie. I know, I said it, LIE! I think this is how I’m going to suit up for battle next time.
I made my delicious cauliflower soup and I do mean delicious (pat, pat, pat) then I added a nice rub to some chicken and added some fresh peas. Some people serve soup and salad – I serve chicken and soup – Tomatoe, Tomato!
I was roasting up those veggies and man, did the kitchen smell great…I prepared the whole soup…and man, was it good….then the taste came in. Did I win this battle with a right hook?
I am so proud of this dish. It’s creamy, lots of depth in flavor and filled me up! The whole time I was roasting, I couldn’t wait to eat. I served to my 19 month old – she put her fingers in the bowl and gulped it down. SUCCESS! But, I have to be honest, she’s a real good eater so she was the least of my worries! Next, I look to my three year old son – who flicked his spoon watching the soup drip down. After studying exactly what soup can do, he hesitantly took a bite. To my amazement, he took another bite and yet another! I didn’t say one word. Nope, instead my heart was clapping on the inside and I somehow maintained hiding my smile. Now the kicker, my husband -
“What IS it?”
“Cauliflower Soup,” I said proudly.
Takes a bite – “You know I don’t like cauliflower.”
I back down giving him the sigh of “oh yeah, who cares, its good, eat it!”
So, he took another bite. “Cauliflower?”
“No navy bean soup, did I say cauliflower?”
“Seriously. What is it?”
“What do you WANT it to be?”
He pushes it a side and finishes the rest of his plate. As we are sitting there chit chatting, I noticed he took another bite! I kept talking to him. After a few minutes, I realized he finished his bowl! He finally says, “So navy bean soup?”
I just stared at him.
“UGH! I told you I don’t like cauliflower soup!”
I guess I won. If I can make a healthy dish that my whole family likes, it is a good day in my book, so I had to share it with you!
- 1 whole head of cauliflower
- 5-6 cloves of garlic: peeled and mashed
- 1 onion: quartered into chunks
- 2 Tbs. Olive Oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- salt and pepper
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheese
1. Peheat oven to 425 degrees
2. Spray a large baking sheet (I used stoneware)
3. Chop the whole cauliflower, breaking into small pieces. (I find it easier if you turn the cauliflower head upside down and begin cutting that way).
4. Smash garlic and chop onion.
5. Place cauliflower, garlic and onion into baking sheet.
6. Pour olive oil on top.
7. Add Salt and Pepper and Cinnamon. Mix well with hands.
8. Place in oven for 30-45 minutes. NOTE: I checked on them every fifteen minutes and mixed them up again each time.
9. When they are done, add cauliflower mixture to a big pot.
10. Add stock and bring to a simmer for ten minutes.
11. Use a blender or an immersion blender until the soup is the consistency you would like to achieve. I like it with no chunks!
12. Add in cheese and check seasonings for salt and pepper. Cook 5 more minutes.
13. Ladle and serve!
I will make this dish again. I do know that. I just need to call it “Navy Soup” to ensure there is no second guessing this amazing soup!