When I first started to write this recipe, I wanted to make a soup however as I added ingredients, it just made sense to make a risotto! Let’s just do a run down of risotto 101: Risotto is a class of Italian dishes, usually served first, prior to the main meal. It is a rice dish cooked in a broth (vegetable, chicken, fish etc.) until it has a nice and creamy consistency. It’s sooo yummy!
I have a love for different ethnic cuisines. Some of my favorites include: Indian, (amazing!), Thai and of course, Moroccan. I decided to go with Moroccan inspired flavors for this dish. This meal bursts with different levels of bold flavors, yet has a smooth, creamy consistency and is absolutely delicious! Well worth making again and again! From my family to yours – Enjoy!
2 Tbs. butter
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 sweet potato: peeled, chopped into 1″ pieces
1 carrot: peeled, cut into rounds
1 rib of celery: rinsed, cut horizontally then into small pieces vertically
32 oz. chicken broth (or vegetable broth, any kind you like)
1 cup Arborio Rice
15 oz. can chickpeas: drained and rinsed
14.5 oz can diced tomatoes, (preferably Hunt’s Oregano and Rosemary)
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. red curry powder
1/8 tsp. cinnamon
pinch of paprika
salt and pepper
cilantro for garnish
Let’s get a cookin’!
1. Prep your vegetables first
2. Place butter in a large pot and over medium low to medium heat saute onion, sweet potato, carrot, celery and garlic for about ten minutes until tender. (I add a pinch of salt here)
3. Add spices to vegetables, stirring for a minute.
4. Add a little bit of broth, scrapping up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan (major flavor!) Then add the rest of the broth a little bit at a time until all used.
5. Stir in canned tomatoes and rice. Bring to a boil. Once at boil, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for thirty minutes.
6. Stir occasionally.
7. Add chickpeas for 5 minutes until heated through.
8. Serve with cilantro for garnish.
This is one risotto that is packed with flavor and will give you a delicious party in your mouth!