My mother was kind enough to take the kids and I to the Faerie Festival last weekend. A what? Exactly. I never knew they existed, but I’m really glad we went. Besides being extremely eco-friendly (which I love) they also had Falafel. Again, chickpeas and I have a secret affair. I love to eat them, and in any form. I haven’t had falafel since I worked a corporate job a few years ago. My mom even bought one for herself and loved it. Must be something to these chicks!
But tonight was different. Although I love myself a nice fried falafel wrapped in pita bread with greens, tomatoes and lemon tahini, tonight wasn’t about me. Nope. I was home with two kids and a working hubby. So I compromised. A kid-friendly falafel meal! Seriously, who doesn’t like cheese and tortilla? Score one for mom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- 15 oz garbanzo beans
- 2 Tbs flour
- 2Tbs parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped cauliflower
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- Cheddar/Colby cheese
- Salsa (optional)
- Sour Cream (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. Put all ingredients into a blender. Blend until all is mixed well.
3. Grease baking sheet or stoneware.
4. Scoop the bean mixture into your hands and form into eight patties.
5. Place on greased stoneware (or baking sheet) and bush olive oil over each one.
6. Bake for 20 minutes.
7. After the patties are finished cooking, preheat a skillet to medium heat and spray with cooking oil.
8. Place a tortilla in the pan for 1 minute. Turn over.
9. Place a patty on the middle of the tortilla and cover in cheese.
10. Let melt for 30 seconds.
11. Add another tortilla on top and flip. (No folks, it’s not from outter space!)
12. Cook for 1-2 more minutes.
13. Cut up and serve with salsa and/or sour cream.