French fries? No. Freedom Fries? No. Whatever they may be called, they are darn good! What do YOU like on your fries? Cheese? Chilli? Hot sauce? BBQ Sauce? Ketchup? You name it! Fries are kind of like pizza, you can put on many toppings and usually get a pretty good turn out. And they make the perfect side dish for a lot of things! Items such as hot dogs, hamburgers, pizza, fried chicken, baked chicken, or any chicken! Or even a main dish! You might not want to eat them with a bowl of soup, but hey, who am I to judge, maybe you do. Of course, we all want something different on our fries but this is how I make MY fries 🙂
- 3 russet potatoes
- Sea Salt
- Freshly ground peppercorns
- Parmesan Cheese
- 2 Tbs. vegetable oil
If my pan held more fries, I would absolutely have made more! They go quickly. Prepare yourself to make an extra batch. Well worth the wait. Or better yet, put two pans in at the same time! Ingenious I say!
Recipe as follows:
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Slice potatoes. Either as wedges or in a french fry slicer. Yes, that is what I used.
3. Place in cold water for five minutes.
4. Drain water and blot dry on paper towels.
5. In a bowl add oil, salt, pepper and mix well.
(Don’t wimp out on me now, get those hands in there and season those babies up!)
6. Place on pan and bake for 35 – 40 minutes until you’ve reached desired doneness.
This is where the fun part comes in. What did you like on your fries again? Another one of my favorites is Old Bay Seasoning – but I’m not sure if that’s a “Maryland” thing… How about vinegar? I used to love drenching my fries in vinegar! Well, at my house, we eat them with Parmesan cheese and honey.
When I was in elementary school, they used to give us the skinniest, mushiest, saddest looking french fries I have ever seen. My girlfriend and I used to dip them in these little packets of honey and I would try to get out every last drip hiding in the corners. Now that I’m a “grown up,” I just pour oodles of honey on top of them instead! Who has time to dig in the corners of packets? Not this girl.
7. Of course, serve on a platter – this way, it looks more adultish. Enjoy!