I have to be honest, the more I’m in the kitchen, the more I’m truly in love all with the goodies to create! My house is FILLED with “healthy” items and when I opened my cabinets for a sweet treat, there was nothing to be found. Actually I threw some raisins in my mouth but not quite what I was looking for. So I opened the fridge and pantry and started to create something for my desire. As I was baking, I thought this could actually be a good thing. I have to really crave a sweet to make it from scratch and this allowed me a few minutes extra to think, “Do I really want to have something sweet?” rather than opening up a (nonexistent) chocolate bar and snacking. Well, I really did want something sweet so at 9pm at night, I brought out the goods to create and make!
Second shelf, stage right, I found blueberries and nothing says sweet to me like those ripe blueberries! Perfect for what I was looking for. Now again I have to be honest, my dessert is filled with sugar and other bad, bad, bad stuff and this is why I love it sooo much. On the other hand, I also filled it with some good stuff too like almond milk and flax seed. Seriously, when you bake are these items that come to mind? My theory in life is to always be balanced or at least try to be! You may have noticed that I have a lot of “healthy” recipes and then I have my not so healthy desserts. I call it balance. 🙂
I originally started off thinking I wanted to make a cobbler but truth be told, I was so excited about my batter that I poured it into my pan first. Cobblers are made with fruit on the bottom. Then I thought cake, but it has a cobbler consistancy….so either use less blueberries to make a “pretty” formed cake with blueberries on top, or bake it with the fruit going in first or do what I do and just call it a cake mess. Seems to work out better that way. You call it what you want, no matter its name, its really really fantastically delicious!
- 1 pint blueberries (rinsed)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 lemon: freshly squeezed juice
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon flour
- 1 Tbs melted butter
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 Tbs cold unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 cup walnuts: finely chopped
- 1/2 Tbs flax seed
- 3/4 – 1 cup almond milk
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. Grease a 9×9 pan with butter (I used stoneware because I’m a crazy in love with stoneware kind of lady!)
3. In a bowl, combine all of the blueberry ingredients in order and mix.
Make sure its all covered, good and yummy and then snack a little, I did. Really good.
4. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, walnuts, flax seed, mix well.
5. Cut in the cold butter (cut small pieces) and mash into cake batter with a fork. I used my fingers after a while and just smashing everything until it was nice and crumbly.
6. Stir in milk. You want a creamy consistency but not a thin drink form.
(I used almost 1 cup completely)
7. Pour batter into prepared dish then add the blueberry mixture on top.
8. Bake for 30-35 minutes until the dough springs back when you touch it and the blueberries melt and a nice brown top is left.
9. We ate ours when it was warm – the whole thing…..I know, right….crazy!
Sweet mission completed. Check.