One of my first recipes years ago was the infamous black bean burger. I mean you can’t really go wrong with a burger right? Add all the topics you like – the possibilities are unlimited! Now I have to admit, my first bean burger was nothing to brag about. In fact, my family distinctively remembers the grossness well. (ugh…. ) Good news, ten years later and lots of practice under my belt, I have created a firm black bean burger that tastes FABULOUS. I really don’t like to brag, but I know when my husband eats two and my toddler wants the whole burger, it’s a winner. I felt like a champion – in a very small but rewarding way. 🙂
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 spring onions: chopped (green and white parts)
- 1 small yellow onion (diced)
- 1/4 cup plain bread crumbs
- 2 egg whites
- 1 Tbs. coriander
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp dried basil
- Cheddar Cheese (optional)
- Hamburger buns
Recipe as follows:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
(always a good tip is to cut everything and place in dishes that way, its ready when you need it. I used to cut some things and keep going but when you prep first it takes out a lot of the hassle)
2. Place half of beans in food processor and pulse 3-4 times.
3. Add the rest of the beans plus the rest of the ingredients.
4.Puree until thickness you desire.
5. Divide mixture into six portions and round out as burgers.
6. Place in oven and bake for 8 minutes. Pull out and add cheese if desired. If not, continue cooking for two more minutes.
7. Place in hamburger bun and add any topics you desire!
The burger says, “EAT ME…YUM!”